Prep Time:5min, Cooking Time; 2hrs30min, Serves: 4
You Will Need:
- 4 Lamb Shanks
- 205g Tomato Puree (Half a Can)
- 250ml Ref Wine (1 cup)
- 400-500ml Liquid Beef Stork
- 1 Large Onion
- 1/2 Green Pepper
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 3-4 Large carrots
- 1 Large Tomato, finely Chopped
- A handful chopped fresh Thyme (leaves)
- A handful chopped fresh Rosemary (leaves )
- 2 Tbs Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive oil for browning meat and sautéing.
- Season the Shanks with Salt and Pepper.
- In a heavy pot, heat oil and brown the shanks in batches on all sides, this should take about 2min each side.
- Once browned take them out and let them rest. In the same pot/oil sauté onions and green pepper till soft, add paprika.
- Then add garlic and stir,
- After about a minute and carrots , stir and close the lid, cook for a further 3minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now add fresh herbs and tomato puree, let this cook for about 3-5min.
- Add red wine and Beef stork, stir and let this simmer for another 5min. The sauce should form a nice medium thick consistency. Taste the sauce, add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Carefully place the Lamb Shanks back into the sauce using tongs, submerging then into the sauce, making sure that the sauce covers each one all around.
- Close the lid and let the sauce cook on low heat for 10minutes.
- Remove pot from the stove, stir a bit and into a preheated oven it goes (lid closed ), cook this for 2hours at 180-200 Degrees Celsius (Remember oven temperature may vary so use your discretion here).
- After 2hours the shank meat should be falling off the bone.
- Serve with Mash and Salad.